Bluff Brewery's beer was acclaimed for its purity – Herald-Whig

Posted: Jun. 18, 2017 12:20 am Updated: Jun. 18, 2017 12:25 am

Quincy has a robust heritage of German immigration that began as a trickle in the 1830s and widened greatly in the 1850s and 1860s. This surge in the flow of migration brought with it an ethnic tradition of brewing beer. Most Germans looked on the beverage as “liquid bread” and brewing as a means of storing the sustenance of the grain. Germans in Quincy began brewing as early as the mid-1830s with the arrival of the first wave of immigrants. At the zenith of the city’s brewing industry, eight brewing establishments could be found in a single city directory. Over the course of time at least 18 different brewing locations are believed to have existed.

A few years ago a group of glass plate negatives were given to the Historical Society. They had been taken by landscape photographer John Sanftleben. He worked from 1869 until the mid-1890s producing photos of local businesses, turning them into stereo-view cards that one could place in a viewer to see the business. An image of the Bluff Brewery was one of those given to the Society.

The Bluff Brewery was built by Henry Rupp, who in 1837 immigrated to Quincy from Bavaria, where he had been an apprentice in the soap and candle making trade. Upon arriving here he established a business to practice his trade, which he did for 20 years before constructing the brewery. The Bluff Brewery was built on the city’s western edge, two miles north on the bay in 1857. Rupp continued to operate both businesses for two years when the brewery was destroyed by fire.

After being rebuilt, the brewery was operated by the Luther Brothers, probably through a lease arrangement from 1861 to 1864. The Luther

Read More Here...

This entry was posted in Beer Alcohol Stocks News. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.