Here is every single active Canadian baseball player in Major League Baseball – MLB.com

When the Yankees traded for James Paxton on Monday, they not only acquired a top-of-the-rotation starter, they also acquired one of the few Canadians currently playing in Major League Baseball. Between the Expos and Blue Jays, there has been an MLB team in Canada since 1969. Yet, only 11 Canadian-born players played in Major League games in 2018. 

In honor of the Big Maple’s blockbuster move to the Big Apple, let’s take a moment to appreciate each and every Canadian in the Majors.

OF Jim Adduci

Adduci got his longest taste of the Majors in 2018, playing first base for the Tigers in the wake of Miguel Cabrera’s biceps injury. In 176 at-bats, he hit .267 with three home runs.

P John Axford

Axford spent most of his 2018 season in his native country, pitching out of the Blue Jays bullpen. The 2011 National League saves leader showed off his patriotism by making a Canada Day playlist and had a 4.41 ERA in 51 innings of relief. Perhaps most importantly, he got to ride in a bullpen cart:

C Russell Martin

In 2018, Martin completed his fourth season with the Blue Jays. While the 35-year-old catcher has slowed down some from his days as an All-Star, the season did mark a significant milestone of Martin’s career: He managed the Blue Jays in the final game of the season.

OF Tyler O’Neill

The strongest man in baseball had a strong rookie campaign for the Cardinals in 2018, hitting nine home runs and slugging .500 in just 142 plate appearances. Perhaps no home run was more impressive than his last when he walked it off against the Giants and his teammates greeted him at home plate and ripped his shirt off:

Tyler O’Unit with the #walkoff.

You’re going

Read More Here...

Posted in Baseball News | Leave a comment

Police: He had 5 loaded guns, extra ammunition when found outside a Kentucky business – Lexington Herald Leader

A possible mass shooting at a factory was thwarted by two employees and two Springfield police officers responding to a trespassing complaint.

Matthew R. Smith, 37, faces several charges after he was found Monday with multiple guns and made statements to police indicating “he was planning to conduct a mass shooting inside LB Manufacturing,” the department said in a Tuesday Facebook post. Smith also said he had been “analyzing the building layout to include entrances/exits, approaches, and even the air vents on the roof,” according to police.

Police responded to LB Manufacturing over a report of a suspicious vehicle trespassing, according to court records. An employee had tried to confront the driver in the parking lot, but the driver refused to leave, police said Tuesday. That employee told his supervisor to call police.

When Assistant Chief Joe Templeman and Capt. Tony Golden approached Smith in his pickup truck about 4 p.m., Templeman said he asked for Smith’s name and Smith “began making furtive movements in the vehicle and asked” for the officer’s badge number, according to an arrest report filed in court.

Smith, of Willisburg, refused to give his name and did not step out of the vehicle when Templeman asked, according to police. The assistant police chief opened the driver’s door and noticed a Glock handgun in Smith’s hand about the same time Smith began raising it toward Templeman’s chest, according to court records.

Templeman was able to grab the handgun, pass it to Golden and wrestle Smith to the ground, Smith’s arrest citation stated. Smith began to reach for the front of his waistband, where police found another handgun, court records showed.

After Smith was handcuffed, Templeman and Golden found another Glock strapped to Smith’s ankle; a possibly modified and fully automatic AR-15 in the front passenger seat

Read More Here...

Posted in Guns & Ammunition Stocks News | Leave a comment

Which Pearl spot has sold the most alcohol this year? (slideshow) – San Antonio Business Journal

Read More Here...

Posted in Beer Alcohol Stocks News | Leave a comment

NFL playoff picture: Rams could do something on their Week 12 bye that no team has done in 80 years – CBSSports.com

After beating the Chiefs 54-51 in a wild game that somehow lived up to its lofty expectations, the Rams will definitely be heading into their bye this week on a high note, and there’s a chance their day off could turn into a giant celebration. 

Although the Rams won’t be on the field in Week 12, we might end up seeing them celebrate anyway, and that’s because they have a chance to win the division on Sunday. The Rams could officially clinch the NFC West title this week and for that to happen, they only need one game to go their way, according to NFL tiebreaking guru Joe Ferreira

The game in question? Seattle at Carolina. 

If the Seahawks lose, then the Rams will become the first team to clinch a division title in 2018. 

The game between the Seahawks and Panthers kicks off at 10 a.m. PT, which means the Rams could have the division clinched by the time players are finishing their lunch on Sunday. 

If the Seahawks do lose, it would be a history-making situation for the Rams. For one, it would give them back-to-back division titles for the first time since the 1978 and 1979 seasons. Those two titles were actually part of an absurdly impressive run during the 1970s where the Rams won seven consecutive NFC West titles (1973-79). During the streak, the Rams played in five NFC title games and one Super Bowl

If the Rams do end up winning the NFC West title this week, they would also make history in another way. According to Pro Football Researcher Ivan Urena, the Rams would join the 1938 Packers as the only team in NFL history to clinch a playoff berth during an off week. 

If that happens, the Rams better

Read More Here...

Posted in Football News | Leave a comment

Sierra Leone: Arms and ammunition investigations – The Patriotic Vanguard

The Sierra Leone army says three “major arms and ammunition investigations” are currently ongoing involving its members.

A board of inquiry is looking into one, the Ministry of Defence and the police are looking into two other separate ones.

According to a statement from the Ministry of Defence, one of the investigations concerns the “serious shortage” of arms and ammunition assigned to the presidential guards unit of former president Ernest Bai Koroma. Even though they would not give details of the arms and ammunition that are unaccounted for, the shortage was discovered during stock checking exercise by the current Commander of Joint Logistics Unit, Colonel Albert Bockarie.

For this, the commander of the former presidential guard unit, Brigadier General Albert Kargbo has been suspended, while the Officer Commanding, Captain Patrick Kamara is under detention.

A second incident being investigated by the police concerns the discovery at the President’s Lodge of “a large cache of ammunition which appeared to have been dumped in a cesspit sucker-way”, according to a statement from defence headquarters.

The ammunition included 178 rounds of 12.7mm Chinese and 1,606 rounds of 14.5mm Chinese, retrieved in the presence of various security agencies weeks after the March presidential election.
To this, four senior military officers were released to the police for investigations. They are Brigadier General Albert Kargbo (Assistant Chief of Defence Staff for Gender and Equal Opportunities), Brigadier General Ronnie Harleston (Brigade Commander of 5 Infantry Brigade), Colonel George Bangura (Commandant of Peace Mission Training Centre or PMTC) and Lieutenant Colonel Sheku Tejan Sesay (Military Plans and Operations Officer at AU Headquarters in Ethiopia) who is yet to report.

They are being interrogated, say the army, “because of their previous roles and responsibilities, which could have connections with the discovered ammunition”. None of them have been arrested.

Brigadier

Read More Here...

Posted in Guns & Ammunition Stocks News | Leave a comment
« Older