Gaming revenues down in Deadwood after Midnight Star closure – Rapid City Journal

The sudden closure of actor/director Kevin Costner’s Midnight Star casino in Deadwood this August is being blamed for an overall dip in September gaming revenues.

In a report released Tuesday, the South Dakota Commission on Gaming showed bettors wagered $95.2 million on slot machines in September, down nearly 2.8 percent from the same month last year. Year to date, gamers have bet $797.6 million on slots, off 2.4 percent from September 2016.

Conversely, table game action surged in September. Players of popular games such as blackjack, roulette and poker plunked down $6.2 million in wagers last month, an 8.6 percent spike from September 2016, the Gaming Commission reported. However, year to date, table gamers have bet $52.7 million, down 3.2 percent from the same point last year.

An industry spokesman said Tuesday that the downturn in gaming in September could be attributable to the closure of Costner’s Midnight Star.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

“Total device (slot) numbers for September are down 84 from August, probably a reflection of a recently shuttered Main Street casino, which impacts overall gaming revenues,” said Mike Rodman, executive director of the Deadwood Gaming Association. “Regardless, 2017 continues to be a difficult year for Deadwood as year to date revenues are down 2.5 percent.”

Meanwhile, hotel occupancy rates held steady at 75 percent last month when compared to September 2016, according to reports from the Deadwood City Finance Office. Of the 45,810 available room nights, lodging properties had guests for 34,492 room nights during the month, the report stated.

Read More Here...

This entry was posted in Casino Gambling Stocks News. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.