'Pure joy': Astros' World Series doc premieres – MLB.com

“It still hasn’t really sunk in,” Luhnow said on the “orange carpet” outside the Cullen Performance Hall on the University of Houston campus, with the Commissioner’s Trophy posed neatly behind him.

“Every day I wake up and think, did we really just do that? There will be time to reflect down the road, but we’re a little busy right now. But I’m really proud of the entire organization and the effort and the accomplishment here.”

Houston celebrates championship

Astros celebrate World Series win with massive parade

The Astros celebrate their first World Series win with a parade through the streets of Houston followed by a rally with fans

November is often active for Luhnow, who had signed outfielder Josh Reddick and pitcher Charlie Morton and traded for catcher Brian McCann by Thanksgiving a year ago. 

“I’m already working on next year,” Luhnow said. “It’s been a while since a team has defended a title, so that’s our goal.”

While Luhnow’s activity level may be ramping up with the onset of free agency and other potential offseason moves, Hinch continues to wind down after managing the Astros to their first title.

“For me personally, I get to see the World Series through the eyes of a lot of different people,” Hinch said. “I think when I was in the middle of it, I probably missed a lot, to be honest. I want to see the pure joy of what the players experienced, coaches, the front office, what everybody experienced.”

Hinch on Astros’ successful year

Hinch on MOY nomination, Astros’ successful season

Astros skipper A.J. Hinch discusses being nominated for AL Manager of the Year and his club’s successful season that ended with a WS title

Both Hinch and Luhnow took particular pleasure in getting to attend the premiere

Read More Here...

Posted in Baseball News | Comments Off on 'Pure joy': Astros' World Series doc premieres – MLB.com

Braves penalized for int'l signing violations – MLB.com

Commissioner’s statement regarding Braves’ violations

Most of the prospects lost, including shortstop Kevin Maitan (the No. 38 ranked prospect in baseball according to MLB Pipeline), were part of the much-hyped 2016 international class signed by former general manager John Coppolella and his former special assistant, Gordon Blakeley.

MLB also placed Coppolella on the permanently ineligible list and Blakeley has been given a one-year suspension. Both men resigned from their roles with the Braves on Oct. 2, when it was revealed MLB was in the midst of what proved to be a very thorough investigation that revealed significant wrongdoing.

As part of the shakeup that was set in motion by this investigation, John Hart stepped down from his role as president of baseball operations and left the Braves organization last week after team CEO and Chairman Terry McGuirk chose Alex Anthopoulos to serve as the club’s general manager.

“The senior Baseball Operations officials responsible for the misconduct are no longer employed by the Braves,” Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. “I am confident that Terry McGuirk, John Schuerholz, Alex Anthopoulos and their staffs have and will put in place procedures to ensure that this type of conduct never occurs again and which will allow the Club to emerge from this difficult period as the strong and respected franchise that it has always been.”

Braves officials chose not to speak about the ruling, but the team issued a statement that included: “The Braves cooperated fully throughout this investigation and we understand and accept the decision regarding the penalties that have been handed down.”

Atlanta will be prohibited from signing any international player for more than $10,000 during the 2019-20 signing period and its international signing bonus pool for the 2020-21 signing period will be reduced by 50 percent.

The

Read More Here...

Posted in Baseball News | Comments Off on Braves penalized for int'l signing violations – MLB.com

Williams to wear No. 34 to honor friend – MLB.com

Hahn, selected by the D-backs in the 34th round of the 2013 Draft, works in Arizona’s front office as its coordinator of pro scouting. As Williams wrote on Twitter, “34 is more than just a number to me.”

I will now wear #34 on my back.

It is an honor, @CoryHahn34 pic.twitter.com/GxDDfg3pb1

— Trevor Williams (@MeLlamoTrevor) November 21, 2017

“Witnessing someone’s life change as drastically as Cory’s changed, it put my life and career in perspective,” Williams wrote. “On my worst day, I remember his loss and I know that he would give anything to have even the worst day on the baseball field.

“Part of my ‘why’ is remembering the countless hours of rehab Cory went through in the hospital. The countless hours of rehab and workouts he still does to get stronger every day. The way he made it known that he wanted to go back to ASU with his boys surrounding him for support.”

Williams and Hahn met through travel ball. They took a recruiting trip to ASU together and decided to attend as roommates. Only innings after Hahn was carried off the field with a life-altering injury, a shaken Williams made his collegiate debut.

“I look to him for support when times get rough on the field, and I am reminded to never take this opportunity for granted,” Williams wrote. “You only get one career and I feel like my career is also ‘our’ career.

“We would often talk about our Major League dreams. However, our career paths are different now. He’s chasing a different dream. I find myself still on this path that we used to share, and I remember it every time I put on my uniform.”

The two remain close friends and have discussed ways to benefit the Wings For Life spinal-cord

Read More Here...

Posted in Baseball News | Comments Off on Williams to wear No. 34 to honor friend – MLB.com

MLB's permanently banned list: A motley crew of gamblers, thieves, cheats and drug users – USA TODAY

CLOSE

Former Atlanta Braves general manager John Coppolella joins this infamous list of individuals to be permanently banned by Major League Baseball. USA TODAY Sports

John Coppolella was banned for his role in an international scouting scandal.(Photo: Hyosub Shin, AP)

We all know the story of Pete Rose, banned from baseball for life for betting on the Cincinnati Reds while serving as the team’s manager.

But did you know about Benny Kauff, a New York Giants outfielder who was banned by Kenesaw Mountain Landis for selling stolen cars?

Or Horace Fogel, the owner of the Philadelphia Phillies who was banned for saying that umpires were favoring the New York Giants over his team?

With former Atlanta Braves general manager John Coppolella receiving a permanent ban from commissioner Rob Manfred Tuesday in the wake of an international signing scandal, Major League Baseball received its third inductee to this hall of shame in the past two years.

And what better time to examine the other figures in the game who were banned for life:

Jack O’Connor and Harry Howell, manager and coach for the St. Louis Browns, 1910: They tried to fix the 1910 American League batting race and help Nap Lajoie beat Ty Cobb.

Horace Fogel, owner of the Philadelphia Phillies, 1912: He accused National League umpires of favoring the New York Giants and making wrong calls against his team.

The Black Sox: Eddie Cicotte, Lefty Williams, Chick Gandil, Fred McMullin, Swede Risberg, Happy Felsch, Buck Weaver and Shoeless Joe Jackson. Accused of throwing the 1919 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds. Jackson and Weaver’s involvement with the scandal has been disputed throughout the years, but all were banned by Landis.

MORE MLB

Braves hammered: Ex-GM banned, prospects stripped

Ohtani on

Read More Here...

Posted in Baseball News | Comments Off on MLB's permanently banned list: A motley crew of gamblers, thieves, cheats and drug users – USA TODAY

Morgan's letter makes HOF picture cloudy for pair – MLB.com

What do you do with Bonds and Clemens if you assume they both used? This has been one of the biggest baseball topics of the last five years, but the Hall and Hall of Famers have, up to now, largely left that up to the voters. That changed on Tuesday when Hall of Famer and board vice chairman Joe Morgan sent out a letter titled: “The Hall of Fame is Special.”

Morgan urges HOF voters to reject PED users

“We hope the day never comes when known steroid users are voted into the Hall of Fame,” Morgan wrote. “They cheated. Steroid users don’t belong here.”

Though the letter was written by Morgan — a wonderful Hall of Fame second baseman for the Big Red Machine in the 1970s — it clearly represents a much larger viewpoint. For one thing, Morgan is one of the 16 members of the Hall of Fame board and perhaps its most prominent member after chairperson Jane Forbes Clark. More to the point, Morgan sent the letter to every Hall of Fame voter while using the Baseball Hall of Fame email address.

• Latest Hall of Fame ballot stacked

And even more to the point, Morgan made it clear that “many” Hall of Famers agree with him, adding that “Hall of Famers are saying that if steroid users get in, they’ll no longer come to Cooperstown for induction ceremonies or other events.”

This, to me, seems a clear shot across the bow. The last couple of years, Clemens and Bonds have been steadily gaining in the voting. Last year, for the first time, both of them crossed the 50 percent mark. Getting more than half the vote is usually a sign that Hall of Fame voters are slowly coming to a consensus that a player

Read More Here...

Posted in Baseball News | Comments Off on Morgan's letter makes HOF picture cloudy for pair – MLB.com
« Older